Thursday, August 28, 2014

“What its Like!”



“What   its   Like!”
By Glenn Peppers                                    8-28-14


Jane Elliot



The Youtube link and clip posted directly above this article is just a small example of what it feels like to be black in America, everyday, day and night without fail, 24/7; without any way out! The white kids after this video demonstration is over can go back to being who they were. 

Students expression and reaction during the seminar
Some or most being privileged, haughty, unsympathetic, and boisterously opinionated and uncaring as far as what they think of that poor race of people always making a fuss about inequality and injustice! That’s is of course if they didn’t learn anything while sitting in on Jane Elliot's class shedding light on just a small glimpse of what it is like to be black in this world! 



For me and many others like me, coming along in life right here in America, and being black meant suffering various modes and strains of mistreatment and labeling oppression. Oppression and discrimination that is constant, even when at times when I am not fully aware of it. I’ve learned over the years that the trauma and repercussions of being black (essentially black and male for me) are always there and ever present, even in my sleep. How you are perceived in this world is something that is always there regardless of good your self awareness factors are! Its how you deal with it that counts.


Yet I wouldn't trade being black for anything in the world! Not anything! Even since I was a child I knew that being black meant being apart of something much bigger than who I am. Being black means knowing you have your roots based in vast knowledge and things eternal; and that you are apart of a construct larger than the material dimension that the human eye is limited to view! Unbeknownst to many, there are many life lessons to be learned, and much wisdom gained from being black! 

What Queens of the northern African region looked like
When I see the great and wonderful things my ancestor in africa built and were apart of in ancient times, I know being black means something, despite whites throughout history claiming to be Egyptian kings and queens and other prominent people of color who pioneered mathematics, started and created libraries, charted the stars, and gave the world a solid foundation in history that was stolen and hidden from us! As a child I asked “Why was this done?” 

It was done in order to deny us our birthright. To strip us of our dignity and kingship and pride, and break us down. You can't make slaves out of smart people! 


These lessons will carry over into an existence, and into a realm incalculable in scope, and unfathomable to any mortal mindset! For whatever reason, the pain, and the suffering, the discrimination and the constant fighting for ones dignity as a black American citizen of the world seems to be a process of sorts! One that despite its damages to the soul, seems to at the same time build the soul! Its as if with each trial by strife, the hurt stores up this well of strength and awareness within ones spirit, despite the body's constant bombardment from degradation and hatred! Kind of like how a sword is forged in a foundry fire, and then quenched in cool water, hardening it! Tempering it, making it stronger with each forging!

There's something bigger than our suffering

What proof do I have that all this suffering and fighting for ones place on this planet will not be in vain? I have but only my faith to rely on for this. Yet the signs are there for those who actually want to see them! seminar lessons in being black can never fully teach you how to see and experience life as I live it everyday. In order to do that, you’d really have to be a most compassionate, empathic and yet in tuned person of virtue! Someone like Jane Elliot!

Jane Elliot in her classroom

Sounds like religious dogma to you, doesn’t it! Maybe its supposed for some! I’ll I know is this! Being black despite its hardships has its joys! And as I said, I wouldn’t trade being black for all the gold and silver in the world! I was made this way for a reason! I regret nothing! Therefore I’ll stay strong and I’ll carry on! Black and ever learning. Ever proud!

Glenn Peppers    8-28-2014

No comments:

Post a Comment