Sunday, December 15, 2013

In Getting Older








“In Getting Older...”

By Glenn Peppers                          12-15-13

Yes, I am one of those December baby's! I'm one of those wintertime, "can't wait for Christmas" type baby's. You know the ones who make all of December, one big giant holiday celebration because our birthday's is close to Christmas! Well, in getting one more year older, further on into my latter fifties, I find that day by day, age is very much indeed apparent! These old bones are really starting to feel their age. 

I truly do believe we have some kind of built in biological warranty (with fine print) clock ticking inside us, telling our bodies... 

"Ok Glenn, its time to slow yo' butt down a notch! Get those eyes checked! Take your medicine! Watch your health conditions more carefully, and stay off the salt!" 

I even love it when all my friends and family, and my Facebook pals fuss at me about my health! You may not believe it but, (excuse my ebonics) "I be Listenin ya'll'!" So thank you to all those out there who know me, and know their way around the alternative health thang! It really does help! 

Its clear to me that my stiffness, and all my other aches and pains, and other conditions is all just apart of life. Heck, everybody has something their dealing with, right? Why should I be an exception to the rule? As far as my situation goes, God has been sending me little messages through various people, books, news articles, and other mediums here and there, reminding me that as far as my health goes, to take better care and "Work with what I got!" 

Real live Wonder Woman





I'm sensing that I need to be more creative in soothing my aches and pain when, where and however I can. I need to Meditate, Pray and Rest more. Which resting is something I surly do not do nearly enough of! Ok, ok! I know I should Exercise more, and stretch more as well. And yes, I know doing both keeps the blood pumping! I do know that when it all boils down to it, life is all a matter of learning how to live Life, and Live more vigorously! 

Life is about working and playing hard. Life is also about love and laughter; and enjoying every little nuance of happiness that life has to give! For so many in this world, pain does factor into the big equation of life. All kinds of pain! So in order to be better prepared for life's twisted dodge ball game with bricks, it helps immensely to know thy self pretty well; and to have good coping skills! Believe me, a whole lot of us are still working on that area!... I am one of many!

I get it that as the years go by, I won't be able to do a great many of the things I use to do. And sure my hair isn't all jet black like it once was; and my skin isn't as perfectly honey brown, and crystal clear as the avatar picture posted above, and on my Facebook page depicts. That picture is a fictional much younger image of me in deep thought, and all meditatively engaged! 

So yes, this picture is a slight embellishment somewhat of what I looked liked eons ago. But its not that far off!... What?... Well it "isn't!" Oh never mind!

Age and Time
Anyway, these days, I see quite a different person in the mirror. Yet deep inside, I still feel like that same bright eyed kid who not so long ago couldn't wait to take on the world! Not so long ago, I was full of wonder and childlike mischief, with impulsive desires and foolish dreams. Underneath this aging shell, I'm still that same guy!  I find myself asking where did that young man I once saw in the mirror for so many of my young years go, and when did he start to look so much like his dad?

Those of you who still have that youthful energy to run fast and hop fences, or turn a cartwheel have no idea how difficult it is coming to grips with the idea that there will be things you can either no longer do, or cannot do as well as you once did them when you were younger. When you foolishly took them for granted! Still, life is such that, you have to carry on and do the very best you can, and then some! You simply must go on!

The one thing I do love about getting older (not old) is that wisdom seems to sink in a lot better in my middle years, than when I was in the twenties! The problem is remembering and retaining what it was that I was becoming so confoundedly enlightened about! 

Yes you guessed it, by getting into my middle years, I'm still not a rocket scientist! Not by any means. But I do seem to grasp things much better these days. Maybe its because I've slowed down a notch or two, and have time to actually read the road signs of life! There's an old saying. "Youth is wasted on the young!" As the years fly by, I finding that there's never been any truer adage ever said! 

In getting older, I've also discovered that in healing, and soothing ones ill's. Its all about quieting ones mind, and strengthening ones heart! This wisdom was acquired over a lifetime of being in touch with God, and being in and around the Martial Arts, and understanding, and utilizing meditation, and praying faithfully. These things have over a lifetime has brought me much wisdom and healing; and has remained a source-point of great calm and peace within me; and at the same time helped me to achieve, great power (and no, not like Spiderman type great power!) within me! 

My Heroes 
So daily, in one capacity or another, I do these things, along with prayer to God through Jesus Christ who strengthens me. And when I do these things, my body usually follows along with what my mind and heart are doing! So in a word, I am my own Pied Piper! Remember, one is never too old to build another dream, or climb another mountain! Or play video games!

Have we really become a shadow of ourselves?
I hope that when the day comes, when you find yourselves, just a little bit slower, and just that little bit more tired going up the stairs, you'll remember, that in getting older, you will have traveled many roads, and seemed to have lived many lifetimes. 

You'll remember that there was a time when you once helped others who were older, and have come along in their years. Now it is you who just may need a helping hand, or a kind word from someone younger, stronger, and just like you, were unaware just how precious life really is in ones youth! 



For in your life span, life, times, and circumstance will change in a heartbeat. People will change. As will yourself! My advice to all of you... Live all your Life. For All of your Life! God Bless you all!

Glenn Peppers

2 comments:

  1. Glenn,
    How ironic, age was the topic at.the gym today. One woman mentioned that in her twenties and thirties she pretty much stayed at her normal weight. She said she can remember older women saying "just wait it will catch up to you." Her point was it did because she can't eat everything and still maintain a 95 pound weight average. I can say that I can relate now that I've arrived to 40.

    However it is enjoying life where you are and never taking anything for granted, but making sure to value our temple. I will admit that I have a ton of energy after becoming a vegatarian, but if I had extra cash I would get a little something done. Lol

    Thank you for sharing. And the photos were great to help narrate your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Sandy. I hope you enjoy The Corner View! Gee, I wish I could do the Vegetarian thing! Maybe I'll try it soon! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete